Monday, May 14, 2012

Ramblings about Mothers

My mom and I at a wedding reception where I was the flower girl
This past week I have been thinking a lot about Mothers Day and what makes a good mother.  I decided to make it a part of my study and I learned A LOT!  Over the years I have formulated many "parenting philosophies" that I think will help me be the perfect mom.  What I have realized is that while it is good to plan and to think about various situations and how you would handle them, there is not a single way to be a perfect mom.  Elder Ballard said it best when he stated, ""There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children. The choice is different and unique for each mother and each family. Many are able to be “full-time moms,” at least during the most formative years of their children’s lives, and many others would like to be. Some may have to work part-or full-time; some may work at home; some may divide their lives into periods of home and family and work. What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else."

My mom, sister and grandparents at Yellowstone.  My mom and Grandma
are 2 of the best mothers I know. 
Isn't that awesome!  This brings me so much peace and happiness.  I don't have to worry about things with my future children because as long as I put the most important things first, everything will turn out okay.  I think about my mom and the wonderful example that she is to me.  I was with my family (including my mom) for mothers day dinner and my mom came in from outside to warn me about the garden hose that was in the way so that I wouldn't trip on it.  At first I was annoyed-- I am 20 years old and don't need to be reminded not to trip on the garden hose.  However, as I think about it, my mom tells me things like this because she cares so much.  If she didn't care she would let me do whatever I wanted without any warning.  My mom is truly wonderful and I am so thankful for her and the other women and mothers for the blessings that they are in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment